[mpisgmedia] Ashok Pradhan Committee (from multiplicity to statehood)

HT, 21.06.06, p.3

Consensus on full statehood in sight

Proposal to restructure MCD may be accepted too

Amitabh Shukla
New Delhi June 20

... The dominant view emerging in meetings of the
Ashok Pradhan committee so far is that there is chaos,
confusion and the process of governance suffers due to
the present structure. Full-fledged statehood for
Delhi is being billed as the solution to the present
mess. The committee is expected to submit its
recommendations to the ministry of home affairs soon.
The Pradhan Committee was constituted by the home
ministry to look into the issue of multiplicity of
authorities and urban development in the Capital. The
committee is in the process of identifying agencies,
which are discharging various functions in relation to
urban development and determine their respective
roles, responsibilities, inter-relationships and
existing arrangements for co-ordination.
... In a meeting of the committee last week, it was
accepted that multiplicity was leading to a miserable
situation. "Due to such a scenario, the living
conditions are getting worse," states advocate K.C.
Mittal in his reply to the commission. Mittal, who has
filed a PIL in the high court to enforce the concept
of NCR in letter and spirit...
... The recommendations of the Pradhan and Omesh
Saigal committee on restructuring of MCD would in all
probability be accepted.