Re: [mpisgmedia] "Unplanned" Power Cuts in Delhi

Here is evidence at last that GoNCTD is taking my (as yet unheard) Contempt Petition in SC quiote seriously again. It may be recalled that the former CS of Delhi Reghunathan had promptly given up his additional charge of the lucrative Power Deprtment exactly 2 days after news of my filing CCP was printed in media. The second result was that we got a Chairman for DERC promptly thereafter. The third result (this ties in with the long pending SC matter on power reforms in Delhi) is that Power Secretary Rakesh Mehta is now hawking my "hawkish" views on power thieves in Delhi (very well detailed in my CCP) as his own. As evidenced by todays Indian Express where he says:- Carry on Mr.Mehta.

Incidentally this database of industrial thieves is what I had asked for from DERC in RTI.

"He pointed out that the government itself was preparing to help the discoms achieve these higher targets by providing CISF personnel to curb power thefts in Delhi. ??So far, the discoms had been concentrating on raids on domestic users, though this is not the section where the maximum power theft takes place. Power theft is highest in industrial areas, especially in illegal units. The discoms have already created a database of illegal industries and the crackdown will begin as soon as the CISF force is available,?? added Mehta."

http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=191476

Discoms told to halve AT&C losses in 2 yrs
Express News Service
New Delhi, July 5: THE Power department of Delhi government has now directed the power distribution companies to halve their Aggregate Technical and Commercial (AT&C) losses over the next two years.
Power Secretary Rakesh Mehta today said he had directed both the discoms as well as the Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission (DERC) to ensure that the AT&C loss targets are much higher over the coming years.

??The reduction targets that the discoms had begun with were frankly not high enough. While the government had set a target of 23 per cent reduction by 2007, the discoms at that point had not agreed. But having overachieved the 17 per cent target set for them, they are now willing to cut down the losses even further. We have recommended that the AT&C loss targets be doubled from approximately 5 to 10 per cent each year,?? Mehta told Newsline today.