[mpisgmedia] Civic chief refutes any irregularities in ILFS case

http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=192673#
Home <http://cities.expressindia.com/index.php>>
Pune<http://cities.expressindia.com/pune.html>>
News <http://cities.expressindia.com/21.html>Friday , July 14, 2006
[image: Dotted line]
*NEWS* *Civic chief refutes any irregularities in ILFS case *
*Express News Service*<http://www.expressindia.com/about/feedback.html?mailto=vvdeshmukh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

*Pune, July 13:* TWO days after the Pune Traffic and Transport Forum (PTTF)
served a notice to the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC), Municipal
Commissioner Nitin Kareer refuted the PTTF's claims of irregularities in the
proposal of appointing Infrastructure Leasing and Financial Services Limited
(ILFS) as the project consultant.

Kareer said while the PMC could carry out the development projects uptil Rs
500 to Rs 600 crore, the city's needs were over this. ''Considering this, we
need to appoint an external agency to carry out the development works having
a larger estimated cost,'' he said.

[image: Advertisement]Kareer said that earlier too the civic administration
had forwarded over Rs 1,000 crore Maharashtra State Road Development
Corporation (MSRDC) proposal of road network to the civic standing committee
which was was sent back. ''For high-priced projects we require strong and
professional consultants and therefore we had forwarded ILFS's proposal,''
he said.

About the PMC not issuing tenders for the appointment for project
consultant, Kareer maintained that ILFS has a strong work experience and
hence the proposal was forwarded.

'' Moreover, ILFS said it would not participate in the tendering process,''
he said. ''But if the standing committee sents the proposal back to the
civic administration then we will issue tenders,'' he added.

Kareer also defended his stand stating that ILFS had reduced their
consultation fees from 8.5 per cent of the total project of Rs 1,900 crore
under the Centre's Jawaharlal Nehru Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) to five
per cent.