[mpisgmedia] Lucknow CDPmess

*Since it is actually WSp which is doing JNNURM CDP in Lucknow it seems
the participation disconnect and vacuum is complete*

*For Lucknowites, vision of city limited to local area only*
*Tarannum Manjul* <http://www.expressindia.com/about/feedback.html>

*Lucknow, July 27:* Add a few swings to the park opposite my house.
— Ajay Kumar Gupta
Repair the road near my house and plant a few trees as well.
— Shriprakash Yadav
z Ensure uniterrupted water supply in my house.
— Shashikala

When the Lucknow Municipal Corporation (LMC) invited suggestions from
individuals, architects and NGOs for the city's development, the officials
did not bargain for such a narrow vision.

[image: Advertisement]
<http://banners.expressindia.com/adsnew/adclick.php?bannerid=1775&zoneid=470&source=&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fads.mediaturf.net%2Fclick.ng%2FParams.richmedia%3Dyes%26site%3Dexpressindia%26size%3D300x250%26content%3Dother%26SpaceDesc%3Dmiddle%26campaign%3Dicicibank_nri_3189%26lang%3Dlanguage%26screenw%3D%27%2Bwidth%2B%27&ismap=>
Only
25 letters have been received since the LMC issued the invitation on July 2.

With just a few days left for

the July 31 deadline for

receiving the letters, officials are now looking for other alternatives.

The LMC is in the process of preparing the City Development Plan (CDP) under
the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM). Officials hit
on the idea of seeking suggestions from the public.

''When we invited the people to share their vision of Lucknow, we expected
to get suggestions which would really help us in creating a plan for the
city,'' said Additional Municipal Commissioner Santosh Kumar. ''These
suggestions would have gone a long way in helping our consultants to frame
the plan.''

But the few letters that they got were all about local problems which the
individuals wanted the LMC to look into. There were no suggestions at all
from any NGO.

''When we actually opened the field to them, this is the kind of suggestions
we got. Interestingly, none of these are from NGOs or people who are
involved in the task of making the city more beautiful,'' said Kumar, adding
that both individuals and NGOs would often call the LMC earlier, asking to
be included in the City Development Plan.

The LMC had earlier roped in a Delhi-based consultancy firm to work on the
plan. The proposal has to be submitted to the Centre next month.

Earlier this week, officials of the LMC, Lucknow Development Authority (LDA)
and other related departments held a meeting to discuss the suggestions put
forward by the consultancy firm.

The Special Secretary (Urban Development), S P SIngh, suggested a number of
changes in the plan. The officials are scheduled to hold another meeting
with the representatives of the consultancy firm on July 31.

<http://www.domain-b.com/finance/rating/crisil/20060727_quadrupled.htm>