[mpisgmedia] India FDI Watch Campaign

India FDI Watch Campaign

Bangalore Based, Full-time Organizer Position

The ACORN India FDI Watch Campaign seeks to prevent Foreign Direct
Investment (FDI) in the retail sector in India. Specifically, we want to
prevent the insertion of giant foreign conglomerates, like Wal-Mart, Tesco,
Metro and Carrefour from entering the India market unless they make
satisfactory guarantees that would protect communities; insure the stability
of existing small businesses, traders and hawkers; guarantee fair wages and
working conditions for their own employees and source employees along with
union protection and agreements; and insure that a significant percentage of
sourcing derives from the Indian market. This is a grassroots campaign,
adaptive to local concerns, including the growth and expansion of organized
retail in general. We are currently organizing coalitions in Mumbai, Delhi
and Chennai, and meeting with members of Parliament to discuss the issue of
FDI in Retail.

Job Description

 Build awareness about campaign within different
constituencies- traders,
unions, hawkers, NGOs, etc.-through meetings, presentations, conferences and
networking
 Work with and support existing local and national efforts to oppose
FDI in Retail
 Develop local Campaign Committee to guide grassroots organizing and
lobbying efforts
 Develop or facilitate production of literature/materials according
to campaign needs
 Work with campaign team to coordinate monthly work-plans,
activities, strategy, etc.