[mpisgmedia] NGOS LASH OUT AT EX-MAYORS IN MYSORE OVER JNNURM and others

*NGOS LASH OUT AT EX-MAYORS

*

**

Mysore, Aug. 25 (RR&BRS)- Leaders of five NGOs today claimed that they were
focussing on civic problems thus exposing the failures of elected
representatives.

They were reacting to the allegations of former Mayors at a recent press
conference that NGOs were obstructing the development of the city.

M. Lakshmana, Convenor of Association of Concerned and Informed Citizens of
Mysore, Maj. Gen. S.G. Vombatkere (Retd.), President, Mysore Grahakara
Parishat (MGP), Dr. Bhamy V. Shenoy, Convenor, MGP, Advocate Arun Kumar and
P.M. Bhat, Convenor, MGP, addressed a press meet in Pathrakarthara Bhavan
here this morning.

*Makkaji Chowk*

Lakshmana alleged that the City Corporation had bartered the land of Makkaji
Chowk to Maverick Holdings and Investment for a paltry sum of Rs. 3 crore
per year. The NGOs had shown that it could have fetched more than Rs. 10
crore per year.

Lakshamana claimed that an executive of Maverick had recently confided with
him that the company had to shell out a lot of money in various forms to bag
the contract.

Till date, we are not convinced about the benefits of the housing project on
Jawa land, Lakshmana remarked.

Advocate Arun Kumar observed that the Makkaji Chowk land of 4.19 acres did
not entirely belong to MCC. But, it had given away the right to build the
complex to a private party. Should we not question this ? he asked.

The MCC does not even know what to do about JNNURM project. It has not
constituted either the Planning Committee or even Ward Committees. When
asked for reasons, they give no reply. We are approaching the Urban
Development Ministry in this regard, Vombatkere said.

If election was held in a truly democratic manner, atleast 50 former
Corporators will be defeated, said Dr. Shenoy.

Rules had been violated in every Ward, he charged. The NGOs are struggling
only for city's development and not for any individual's benefit, he argued.