[mpisgmedia] Corporate charity (and I must be brown capuchin monkey)

Role Call
It's not only about profit margins and bottom lines.
Corporates in India are taking their social
responsibility seriously
Paromita Chakrabarti

...PVR's Childscape project, worth Rs 8 lakh, aims to
rehabilitate nearly 70 destitute children in the
complex and is aided by the office of the chief
minister...

... Lladro, the high-end porcelain firm... has also
recently ... put up its limited edition piece of
Radha-Krishna for an online auction, which is aimed at
rehabilitating young adults.

I often go to my son's school to teach primary
classes. The kids here are just as animated ... said
actor Malaika Arora Khan ... The brand ambassador for
Swedish cosmetic giant Oriflame was referring to the
girls of Deepalaya... Oriflame India has recently
contributed Rs 2.7 crore for the education of 1,000
girls ...

... music company Saregama ... In collaboration with
the ICICI Bank, the company has improvised the
programme which enables the artist, living or dead, to
earn a percentage of the royalty every time a
particular song or an album sells. So for many artists
who are old and infirm...

http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=201167

The brown capuchin inequitable payment experiment

In a famous capuchin monkey experiment in 2003, Sarah
Brosnan and Frans de Waal showed that these social
primates would prefer receiving nothing to receiving a
reward awarded inequitably. The experiment went like
this:
A group of female capuchins learned to pay for
cucumber 'rewards' with rock 'tokens' from a
researcher.
The exchange of token for reward was done in pairs of
monkeys.
After receiving a cucumber slice for a rock the first
monkey would witness the second passing her token to
the researcher.
This second monkey would sometimes get the same thing
(a cucumber slice) but would sometimes get something
better (a grape).
The experiment monitored the first capuchin's response
to the payment the next received.
Monkeys who saw their counterpart getting the same
deal as they had done happily ate their cucumber.
However, monkeys who witnessed the next monkey
'unjustly' receiving a better exchange rate for their
rock had some dramatic negative reactions:
Cucumber recipients wouldn't eat when they saw another
monkey get a grape.
They often refused to exchange their tokens for
anything in future sessions.
They sometimes hurled the cucumber back at the
researcher...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inequity_aversion