[mpisgmedia] Save every drop of water: Patkar

*Date:17/09/2006* *URL:
http://www.thehindu.com/2006/09/17/stories/2006091711190300.htm*
------------------------------

New Delhi <http://www.thehindu.com/2006/09/17/24hdline.htm>

Staff Reporter

*"Development policies of the Govt. did not reward those who used the
least water" *

*Medha Patkar *

NEW DELHI: With the controversial shopping mall near Vasant Kunj here
serving as a backdrop, environment groups and activists gathered together on
Saturday to hear the woman who has become an icon for those fighting against
injustice -- Narmada Bachao Andolan leader Medha Patkar. Cutting across
class boundaries, the meeting was attended by residents of Vasant Vihar,
Vasant Kunj and slums of Kusumpur Pahari.

Pointing out that people don't think about the water problem in depth, Ms.
Patkar said it was important to save every drop that falls on the ground.
"We don't think about this. We start getting upset about water not reaching
us, but we have to start with each drop. If we manage to store each drop
closest to where it falls with small dams, then it will percolate into the
ground and get recharged,'' she asserted.

Ms. Patkar said the development policies of the Government did not reward
those who used the least water like the poor farmers. Instead, the
Government claims that they were a "burden'' on the resources, she said.

Addressing the women living in Kusumpur Pahari who had come out in large
numbers for the meeting, Ms. Patkar said: "If people like you who consume
not more than 40 litres of water a day don't get access to it, then the
Government has no right to be in power.''

Stating that cities were rapidly turning into concrete jungles, she said
that the dreams of people had changed. "Earlier even in Hindi movie songs,
there were references to a courtyard, but now people are so obsessed with
buildings that they don't want to leave an inch without plaster. But if
everything becomes concretised, then from where will the water escape into
the ground? If people don't think about saving some ground, then there will
be an environment disaster,'' she warned.

Calling on people to stick to "satya'', Ms. Patkar said if people don't keep
in touch with the truth, then they would be responsible for "terrorism''.
"Terrorism is not only the kind that knocked down a big building in another
country killing 3,000 people. It is also about destroying nature and water
resources, which is being done in the name of development,'' she said.

Strongly criticising the Government for the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban
Renewal Mission, she said it would allow private investment and all the
development would be in the hands of parties like Asian Development Bank and
the World Bank.

"The Government has become an agent. Tribals are not allowed to sell land to
non-tribals. But when it comes to the Government, then it is okay,'' she
said.

**

(c) Copyright 2000 - 2006 The Hindu