Re: [mpisgmedia] Dwellings on Delhi Masterplan

Dear Sir,

I would differ on this logic, through the solution suggested you have addressed the issue only as a stand alone aspect and not in the context of all the policies and regulations of the master plan.

The master plan has adeuate provision to fulfill the requirements of the cities growth. The MPD infact was way ahead of its time in recomending the policies guiding the nature of Commercial development.

This solution you are suggesting is just superficial to solve a problem which can be resolved only if the core issue of the growth of the city is addressed in a integrated manner. And also the current issue of demolition is more of a political gimmick rather than a planning oversight as it is made to be by the media.

TDR as used in the Indian context (say as in Mumbai) has led to further violation and major exploitation FSI rules and regulation, the chaotic situation in Mumbai is a reuslt of that.

Your solution is an attempt to "Creating Value" out of a mucky political logjam......But the impact it will have on the built form of the city will be utterly chaotic.

Regards,

Jayant Gehi

PS - Sir i have marked a copy of the mail to a professional mailing group which is active on the issues relating to the Implementation of the MPD.

"Prof. Sebastian Morris"
<morris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jayant gehi wrote:
Dear Mr. Morris,

I read your article in The Financial Express ' Dwelling on Delhi's Master Plan'.

Sir from what I understand, you are trying to suggest the following as the solution to Delhi?s problem

1. Identify the violators who have broken a law (a crime)
2. Identify the non-violators.
3. Reward the Violators (based upon the seriousness and/or value of their violation (crime)and The Non-Violators (for the impact on them of the Violators crime)
4. Then make this reward tradable in the market so that it can be sold to someone else who can use it to create Value (read further break the law)

Sir, please correct me if I am wrong in the interpretation of the solution.

Dear Mr. Gehi,

You are not wrong except on the last point. The law (master plan) is an ass. It is man made so we can change. Change it to higher FSI and mixed land use. In doing so we allow values to be unlocked. Through the rights and obligations value would flow to those who do not use High FSI or who do not change land use to commercial in residential areas. So the original nonviolators are the biggest beneficiaries even as the violators gain somewhat. This is win-win. Today all you have by considering the MP as god given is lose-lose sitatuation where the biggest losers are non-violators.

Thanks
Sebastian
(You may like to refer to TDRs which have been used in the US in an entirely different context- to preverse historic sites and prevnt too low densities).

Thanks & Regards,

Jayant Gehi
A Planner

---------------------------------
Get your email and more, right on the MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "us.rd.yahoo.com" claiming to be new Yahoo.com

--
Prof. Sebastian Morris
Indian Institute of Management

Phones:
(91-79)26307241 (PBX)
(91-79)26324884 (O)
(91-79)26306380 (F)
(91-79)26306896 (F)
(91-79)26325422 (R)
(91-79)26308093 (R)
Mb: 9824232121
email: morris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
website: http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/~morris
begin:vcard
fn:Sebastian Morris
n:Morris;Sebastian
org:Indian Institute of Management
adr:;;Vastrapur;Ahmedabad;Gujarat;380015;INDIA
email;internet:morris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Professor
tel;work:91-79-26324884
tel;fax:91-79-26306380
tel;home:91-79-26325422
tel;cell:91-9824232121
note;quoted-printable:Chairperson=0D=0A=
Post Graduate Programme in Public Management and Policy
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/~morris
version:2.1
end:vcard