Re: [mpisgmedia] DUAC discussion on Delhi Master Plan at IIC on 31/03/07

Architexturez wrote:

Seminar on Master Plan for Delhi
March 31, 2007
India International Centre in association with Delhi Urban Arts Commission.

contd/-

http://mail.architexturez.net/+/MPISG-Media/archive/msg01348.shtml

Thanks.errata: I did not 'attend' this do, as its attendance sheet
would confirm. (someone called about it thinking otherwise, hence this
post).

I did wander into IIC conf hall2 on 31 (to eavesdrop on
latest from DDA by ak jain and on governance by anil baijal, as I am having
difficulty understanding what MOUD and its agencies are doing in Delhi). I
missed all the pearls-of-wisdom that Rohit has strung together. here is my collection
of gems spotted while not-attending, session-wise:

When I arrived in conf2, Dinesh Mohan was on. I switched off
to chat with two nice American attendees whom I had met previous week at a
dinner party (who told me session featuring AK Jain, Romi Khosla and Ashok Lall
was over). I attended, ie paid attention to, polite fuss that followed as
Mahendra Raj politely offered to skip presenting as Dinesh had taken too long
and Mahendra did not want to eat into participation time before eat time, others
& still others simultaneously politely accepted & rejected the offer
and polite confusion ensued (GEM: INFRA).

Then ppt switched on and I switched off to chat with AK Jain
(in pursuit of half my purpose-of-visit). At lunch I chatted with un-eminent
friends and did not disturb acquaintances, teachers, etc, among enlisted
eminences, mostly lunching with one another in sort of do-not-disturb munch
(GEM: LUNCH).

Not wanting to miss a word of anil baijal, I returned in
advance to conf2 and napped through the cons session. I registered Rajat
getting up from in front of me, around the time when OP Jain was reminiscing
about the times when thousands of vaihnav women bathed in the yamuna and the
canal flowed full through chandni chowk (GEM: CONS).

I asked Rajat if OP was that old. Rajat did not know and I
switched off till Edgar FN Rebeiro switched on the governance session. I
attended the plain-speak of outgoing NDMC chairperson who listed difficulties
faced by administrators on account of the way planners write plans and, in
response to a remark by Kuldip Singh, difficulties faced by occupants of the
ndmc building (GEM: GOV).

Then I got pre-occupied looking for something to throw
because instead of anil baijal they served Ashish Maitra. Charles and Narayani
excused themselves and left conf2 and Shaheer took care of winding up and
saying audi-ho. In audi morning glories gathered on stage, L-R Ashok Lall,
Dinesh Mohan, PS Rana, Charles Correa, Edgar FN Rebeiro and AGK Menon (with IIC
MGK Menon btwxt Charles and Edgar). They took half the discussion time giving
speeches that were ostensibly session summaries. First question (GEM: QUESTION)
was by a tishazari lawyer with genuine concern about blue-line buses that took
panel by surprise. After a bit panel asked lawyer to ask something that panel
could answer, which took lawyer by surprise. After a bit lawyer said
alternative-transport and Dinesh took opportunity to hog 10 min more of
mike-time. Last question was a precise 3-pointer from Aruna Bhowmick, to which the
panel replied by appreciating her passion (GEM: REPLY).

cheers

- gita

Finding fabulous fares is fun.