Re: [mpisgmedia] The BRA shapes our city without us

Hello

Intoducing myself- I am Jayaraj- subscribed to this list for sometime now. Currently a research student on Cities, Architecture and planning.

Thanks to Vinay for forwarding the BRA story- and for Aruna for the response- I very much appreciate the anxities and concerns. I am trying hard to understand better the nature of discussion and clear lines of arguments presented.

From the critique of BRA- I could see the anxities from people's voice/public criticising the authority- for disempowering the citizens-for not taking their voice into consideration, and how this is affecting their lives. Here the (bureaucratic/technocratic- i dont know if it is- i am not aware of the constitution of BRA) instrument of democratic state is disempowering the citizens through top-down policies, by alligning with developers.

Vinays comment on authorities violating zoning norms : Arent the planning authorities who decided the zoning norms in India in the first place? So who is violating it? They themselves? Are zoning laws and masterplanning then good-and desirable in Indian cities? I remember the other email group I subscribe to -(Urbanstudy)-the discussion and consensus say otherwise. some thinglike - ' How disempowering are zoning and masterplanning for communities and particular social groups etc... and we are better without them, leaving the emergent urbanism to be decided by the people themselves- not to step into their realm with public interest arguments which are elitist. May be some kind of advocacy planning is better in that context'.

While in Aruna' s anxieties on Delhi- it is about populist politics disempowering the citizens- but how can this happen? populist politics can only be beneficial to majority citizens -isnt it? because populist is about acting on the behalf of majority -to get votes. I also see a distinction of thinking public / law abiding public in the writing. So does this actally mean political democracy is disempowering the authority that is entrusted to save public interest that is not really majority public's concern? I think here there is a deeper question on what is the nature of the authority we are discussing about and also on the nature of public interest. Many times the majority public is seen to be more concerend with private interest ! Ofcourse I understand that there are no easy answers to public interest. As a practising planner to me this infact is an aspect of practice than of academic interest alone.

However I was trying to find out the similarity and difference etc in these three discussion. Is Aruna in this case then supporting a public interest that only a minority public is interested in- merited to be adopted as general-based on 'knowledge' about how the city works? Should we be sticking to zoning then?. The write seem to be sugegsting that populist politics is disempowering the authority by colluding with the developers-- supporting commercial interests-and planning authorities are helpless. Or is there a consensus-between them-and the people now want planning authroty to be reinstated for public interest- but isnt the same planning authority aiding the notification of hundreds of SEZ's? So is there another level of anxiety on the nature of planning practices that are acceptable and unacceptable?

I was getting confused about who is against what-and what shall we want.

I think the basic question is what kind of relationship we want between planning authorities, institutions of political democracy, politicians, different people (obviously we dont have one group-so what happens to the idea of one kind of public interest)-and developers and entreprenuers. How do we prioritise when there is rapid change. Whose rights are more suppored than others? How do we think about local, regional, national and global. Whose rights and interest should prevail where? How should authorities work . I remember David Harveys article on 'from managerialism to entreprenuerialism' in IJURR about the nature of urban governance in the world today. -quite an old article though.

Or are we all thinking hard about corruption-within planning authorities, government etc.. or are we all observing our helplesness with the interests of capitalism and developers influence on our cities? But without these capitalists how do we provide the activities that help many people today to eat twice a day in our country, and many to enjoy the privileges that once only the powerful and rich could enjoy? or is the concern about managing that growth-keeping that pace? Are we becoming ideologists or pragmatists?

some thoughts ... any critiques, comments and clarifications would be much useful.

Thanks

Jayaraj

Jayaraj Sundaresan :http://personal.lse.ac.uk/SUNDARES
PhD Research Room no: S 504 London School of Economics London WC2A 2AE UK Ph: +44 7862219546