Safdarjang Airport

On 21 July there was a discussion at IHC about ?The
future of Safdarjang Airport?. A citizen activist, an
NGO and a business magnate were ?saving? the flying
club from Civil Aviation Ministry?s plans for shopping
mall, etc. CA Ministry was not represented and DDA
representative was not aware of any such proposal. The
civil society representatives, with no evidence,
insisted there was a proposal, the sunset was
jeopardised, PIL would be necessary, NGO participation
is crucial in Master Plan, etc.

The flying club is illegally running on a site meant
for district park, land use change decisions are
beyond jurisdiction of Civil Aviation ministry and
zonal plan considerations really would not permit any
uses other than park, public and residential. I added
these very precise and pertinent points to the
discourse. And also connected it to the Mahipalpur
bundh.

Civil society was, however, un-inclined to use my
clever argument against CA ministry?s alleged plans,
perhaps because they equally affected if not the
sunset the club over which the sun sets. They
circulated ?proceedings? completely disregarding my
plannerly inputs, which did take up a lot of their
discussion space and were duly acknowledged by two of
four persons present on the dais, with a third
admitting to his technical incompetence. I suggested
to DDA to slap a misuse fine on the flying club while
asking about the alleged proposal and, for petty
insurance against lassitude, have written to CA
Ministry myself for whatever it is worth.

The airport site could do with some minding I think.
The episode is worth chronicling also for the brand of
NGO participation being advocated here and I?ll post a
full account as soon as possible.