Sultangarhi Mega Housing Project

HT and Express Newsline have today reports about the
tendering scam in Mega Housing Projects contracted to
L&T, AlCon, Unitech, etc.

Both say preliminary/interim Vigilance report
implicates senior DDA officials. Neither mentions that
the inquiry was initiated after Mr Mahabal Mishra, one
of our two MLAs on DD Authority, pressed on behalf of
builders who used to previously benefit from DDA
tenders and scams therein.

A couple of weeks before Congressman Mishra got DDA VC
(supposedly BJP man) to initiate inquiry, High Court
had judged Sultangarhi Mega Project ?wholly illegal?
and ?fit case? for DDA Chairman (LG) to inquire how it
came to start ? in green belt, near protected
monument, in area notified by CGWA.

Questions about the priceless scam on public land,
water and heritage were raised in 1700 responses to
Public Notice precipitated by the court case.
Vigilance inquiry was sought about continuing
construction. After Mr Mishra managed a tender
inquiry, the substantive inquiry required by the court
was requested, also to GoNCTD (not because of Mr
Mishra?s clout in DDA but because DDA was claiming DJB
assurance of water) and authorities whose mandates are
infringed by it.

In June, without making public the outcome of court
ordered inquiry or Public Notice process and while the
vigilance inquiry whose interim report has now been
reported was pending and Standing Parliamentary
Committee had issued a press notice inviting public
views on functioning of DDA, the Authority on which
all tiers of our government are represented, cleared
the Sultangarhi Mega Project.

Before that Delhi Urban Heritage Foundation had issued
a press release about the project and heritage wall
already built despite the court judgement, before that
Tourism and Culture Minister had announced plans of
studios for artistes in it, before that LG had said no
inquiry was needed...

The 300-crore tendering scam is peanuts in this case
of full-blown bhagidari.

-------
A tiresome thought is that our Congress might just be
thinking of trumping our BJP?s CAG-interim-report card
with DDA-interim-report card as rape and dengue
politics run out of steam!

Meanwhile, MPISG is writing, in continuation of the
objection to the reported clearance of the project by
DDA in Authority meeting in June, the following to
Secretary MoUD:

Sir,
In continuation of our letter under reference
(enclosed), this is to reiterate our objection to then
reported DDA resolution for land use change for the
above-mentioned project on the additional ground of it
having been passed while DDA vigilance inquiry in the
matter was pending.

Reiterating the contents of our enclosed letter, we
seek immediate clarification of status of s.11A
process under which Public Notice was issued on
15.09.02. This is also because in additional affidavit
of September 2003 in WP 5007&5009/2002 DDA has
referred to the Sultangarhi project.

We also seek immediate clarification of details of
s.11A process for shopping malls here (tender for
which is reportedly imminent), especially precise
description of proposed land use thereunder. This is
because our objections to the Sultangarhi project,
pending in Public Notice process and also in
representations to Standing Parliamentary Committee,
largely apply also to it.

Thanking you and looking forward to hearing from you,

Yours sincerely
MPISG Planner