Re: (no subject)

>On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Robert Hardwick Weston wrote:
>
>> I would be very interested in any new discussions that emerge within your
>> group, particularly those centering on Libidinal Economy. I can be
reached

>> through Columbia University: rw91@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>>

>I too would be very interested in any discussion centering around
>libidinale economy

I think such a discussion might be interesting, and, I suppose, the
discussion must start rolling at some point. So I thought I might offer some
questions on how such a discussion might be(come) framed in relationship to D
& G.

I would think that any sense of libidinal economy would have to deal with
productive forces of desire. If so, such an economy cannot be founded on
either a lack or a quest for jouisaance. And even if "the libido"
establishes a certain type of desiring production, it still must fall under
the discriminatory powers necessary to determine productive desire with
vitreous, cancerous forms of desire.

I would think that -- and I am only running from the top of my head right now
-- that Deleuze's brief discussion of the nuptial between wasp and orchid in
_Dialogues_ might suggest a type of libidinal economy. Becoming insect,
becoming woman, becoming minoritarian all suggest a certype of
anti-ontological exchange where the forces of desire seek a type of smooth
space. But wouldn't such an economy also be marked by othe features of
desire? And does libidinal desire itself set certain strangely overcoded
parameters resistant to the type of productive desire D & G articulate?

I don't know -- but this importation of others' thoughts and terms might turn
up as too prescriptive.

Oh well, not a bad way to start thinking late at night.

Cheers,

John S. Howard
St. Louis University