ARCHITECTURE: Hurricane Resistant Construction.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "List for the discussion of Buckminster Fulle
r'
s works" 15-DEC-1992 09:40:16.58
To: Howard Lawrence <[email protected]>
CC:
Subj: hurricanes and hardware

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1992 09:31:00 EST
From: MSTEVE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: hurricanes and hardware
Sender: List for the discussion of Buckminster Fuller's works
<[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <[email protected]>

One of the nice things I get to do as a librarian in an architectural
library is look at all of the interesting new books that we recieve.
We have just recieved "A Manual for Hurricane Resistant Construction",
published by the Southern Building Code Congress International, Inc.,
1992. This is a tool for the insurance industry, and so there is no
mention of any type of structure besides the conventional box. I look
at drawings of surge and wave forces, and wind forces on walls and roofs
and I wonder how the dome would fair in the 150+mph winds that nature
serves up in those spectacular events we call hurricanes. Does anyone
have first-hand knowledge of domes that have had to weather these
storms?
Another thing that I have been curious about for some time, when I dream
about hammering nails and watching my future dome reach for the sky, is
fasciners. I know very little at this point about dome construction. I
have helped put up a few boxes in my time. What gage of steel is needed
to hold a dome together, given the inherent strength of the triangle and
the integrity of the dome form? 16 to 18 gage is common for joist
hangers, and other such hardware in box construction. I would think
that a much lighter material could be used, allowing dome builders to
press their own plates for this porpose, with relative ease. Please
enlighten me. Seeking knowledge, Steve Moon