GENERAL: AGOCG [New Graphics] Library Initiative.

From: IN%"agocg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" "AGOCG" 17-SEP-1993 07:24:44.61
To: IN%"art-all@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
CC:
Subj: Announcement

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1993 08:43:00 +0000 (GMT)
From: AGOCG <agocg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Announcement
Sender: art-all-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: art-all@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

New Graphics Library announced
------------------------------

AGOCG, the Advisory Group on Computer Graphics, has announced
the launch of a pilot project to establish a new library of
graphics material.

AGOCG Library will collect videotapes and slides relating to
computer graphics and offer them for loan to the community.
We will acquire material of all kinds from recorded lectures
on relevant topics to demonstrations of techniques or
individual software packages and even output from "art"
packages. As well as visual media we will be looking to
acquire other hard-to-get items such as conference papers,
tutorials, technical reports or in short what is known as
grey literature. What we will not do is duplicate existing
provision.

Suggestions for possible acquisitions would be particularly
welcome at this initial stage as we are on a steep learning
curve. We would also welcome deposit of relevant material or
even information about relevant material. Any enquiries
should be routed via e-mail (AGOCG_Library@xxxxxxxxx) and if
there is sufficient traffic we will establish a list on
mailbase.

So how will it work?

Libraries already have a well-established inter-library loan
network and we will use this as far as possible. That means
that once someone has identified an item s/he wishes to
borrow they will need to liaise with their institution's
library on submitting the request together with appropriate
payment. Individual libraries have slightly different ways of
handling inter-library loans and as AGOCG's use of this
network is still at an early stage it is difficult to be too
specific. Our arrangements are still very flexible at this
stage and we will aim to keep some flexibility in the system
but in the event of any difficulty an e-mail will oil the
wheels.

Payment will be by means of BL coupons so as to minimise
administration and facilitate electronic passing of requests.

We will be making every effort to establish rapport with our
users on two main levels. Firstly, the institutional: we will
be discussing with interested institutional libraries how
best to arrange the detailed working of the scheme. Secondly,
the individual: we will be encouraging end users to develop a
dialogue with us that will ensure that we are in touch with
their needs and where appropriate can draw on their
expertise.

As our stock grows we will disseminate information about
acquisitions via the network so that intending users are up
to date with our holdings.

In the first instance we would be pleased to hear from any
libraries interested in participating in the scheme as our
current task is to make ourselves known to those benighted
souls who do not use the network.

AGOCG Library is a very exciting initiative but whether it
lives up to its promise will depend as much on the active
support of the community as anything else so do give us the
benefit of your wisdom and we in turn will do our best to
keep you in the picture.