Increasing costs of mistakes

- - The original note follows - -

Newsgroups: alt.architecture
Subject: Increasing costs of mistakes
From: dmittleman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Daniel Mittleman)
Date: 1 Oct 1993 03:15:01 GMT

While many of us would agree that it is common sense that the farther
you get into an architecture project the more it costs to correct
mistakes - (ie: catching them during programming is cheaper than
catching them during design which is cheaper than catching them after
going to bid which is cheaper than catching them during construction
which is cheaper than catching them after move-in.) - I am not aware
of any article, book, or academic literature which demonstrates this to
be true.

Can anyone provide me with [a] such a citation or [b] first hand
experiential knowledge which would validate or invalidate this thesis?

I want to make this assertion in my dissertation and have acquired some
information from POE interviews I have done to support it - and there
have been academic studies done in other disciplines which show the
same thing - but I am looking for more information on this subject.

Thanks for any pointers you can provide.

danny