ARCHITECTURE: The Future ...

- - The original note follows - -

From: karja@xxxxxxx (KARJA)
Subject: dinosaurs of the future
Date: 9 Jun 1994 22:52:04 -0400

I am writing a series of articles for Metropolis, the New York based
design magazine, about the social and aesthetic implications of the
new forms of electronic technology, the Internet and its many
cousins. The third article in the series is about how the real,
physical world might be changed by these technologies. I am
wondering what sorts of physical structures might be made obsolete by
electronics. Some possibilities: skyscrapers, shopping malls,
highways, public schools, libraries...And then there are
non-architectural things such as human telephone operators, first
class mail and newspapers, that are also candidates for the
endangered species list. Any thoughts on this subject? Respond here
or you can e-mail directly to me at KARJA@xxxxxxx.

Thanks.

Karrie Jacobs, Metropolis writer-at-large