Re: Alexander's pattern language: information wanted

- - The original note follows - -

From: matthews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Kevin Matthews)
Subject: Re: Alexander's pattern language: information wanted
Date: 1 Sep 1994 05:53:01 GMT

In article <DWIG.94Aug29141651@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, dwig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(Don Dwiggins) wrote:

> Christopher Alexander's work in "The Timeless Way of Building" and "A
> Pattern Language" have been picked up and adapted by parts of the software
> engineering community in the last year or so. ....

We use "Pattern Language" in design studio teaching regularly at the U.O.,
with pleasure and with some definate reservations (inspiration and food
for thought--yes; a bible--no).

Alexander himself became disenchanted with the results of people working
with pattern language years ago, and has been working on a much deeper,
even metaphysical, systematic definition of deep beauty in buildings.
When I read his "The Nature of Order" in manuscript several years ago it
was around a thousand pages.