Picking Carrion

Responding to msg by 00mtdarrall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx () on

>do you know Edgar Tafel?

Mr. Tafel did indeed bestow pained dignity on the
Wright-engorgements here.

His stature appears secure, maybe because he has modest name
recognition.

His demeanor contrasts favorably to the other septa- and
octa-genarian mannekins, like PJ
and Pei, rolled out on special occasions to recall a modibund
age of timeless if not
valueless modernism and post.

Don't get me wrong, I admire Philip's promotional ability such
as his only intelligent
contribution to architecture: "The answer to poverty is to
give much more money to
poor people so they can buy beautiful homes." No commie gets
away with such
witty ex-fascistisms.

Pei's gift has been his name on more unsafe buildings than any
other famous architect, and
thanks to our law-besotten culture, settlement records are
sealed by vows of confidentiality
to protect his valuable name and investors bucks so we cannot
learn the truth of
his vaunted design experimentation. He now lives as a historic
Trudeauism, an obedient
comic for corporate architectural practice.

See Architectural Record's September editorial on the demise of
Caudill, Rowlett and Scott for
more on the tragedy of corporate architectural practise and the
rise of the selling of names like
condoms. John Rowlett told me as a student in 1963 to beware
of the savage corporate culture
then just infecting CRS -- a full 8 years before the fatal date
given by the Record (sic). Mr. Rowlett
said the three name partners had no idea what they were getting
into until it was too late to back
out -- Philip Morris wins in architecture as in public disease.

More true lies will come as these names wither and die -- like
FLLW -- and their inheritors in business
and academia hack meat from the infected carrion.

RIP Saarinen, SOM, CRS, Mies, Kahn. Hey, you near-death names,
watch out, they ready to
pick your corpus, soft parts first.

[Sorry for those who don't give a poop about architecture.]

John