Re: Gehry/Davis

I saw the Degenerate Art exhibit, though in the bowels of the Smithsonian
rather than LA. "Polite"? Not sure what Michael means here. I was
actually impressed with Gehry's finding the middle ground between
replication of the original exhibit, respect for the more aestheticized
interpretation of the art and any potential reverse hyperbole one might
have been tempted to engage given the "culture wars" of the time. Of
course, the organizers-venues-sponsors triumvirate no doubt kept the
later possibility at a minimum too.

What exactly Madonna's attendance has to do with anything -- either for
the promoters OR the critics -- I'm not sure. Maybe if she'd been in her
SS-inspired SM phase by then, she could have added a performance.

Overall, the exhibit's power rested in its restraint. While walking
through it, I had a lump in my throat a good bit of the time. When I
toured the holocaust museum, conversely, I was numbed. I doubt that's
your idea of a less polite design, but I am curious, Michael, what is?

randy gragg