FLW's Imperial Hotel (Tokyo)

- - The original note follows - -

From: "mmalcolm Crawford" <malc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: FLW's Imperial Hotel (Tokyo)
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 1994 11:29:57 GMT

Just out of interest...

How many people here are aware that (the lobby at least, of) FLW's Imperial
Hotel (Tokyo) is still in existence?

Most texts I've seen simply say it's been demolished..? In the last week of a
recent stay in Japan, however, I found that it's actually been moved to just
outside Nagoya (in a "reservation" for buildings from the Meiji period, called
Meiji-Mura. I just had to visit...

I've been lucky enough this year to get to see the Marin County Civic Centre,
(ex-)Morris Gift shop, and La Miniatura (after the Gamble House), and in
previous years wander round Oak Park (though sadly I haven't visited Falling
Water yet). IMHO the Imperial Palace is the most impressive Wright building
I've yet seen, it's awe-inspiring.

Sadly, for me at least, it was difficult to find any good angles to
photograph: I've just put my film in to be developed, so I'll see what comes
of my efforts on Saturday -- if anybody's interested I could scan a couple
in...?

Have fun,

mmalcolm.

posn. research facilitator
where institute for language speech and hearing
sheffield university
c/o department of computer science
regent court
211 portobello street