Re: takings

David and others,
If I remember my planning law class properly (? :)) Lucas isn't the best
example of a land takings case as S. Carolina badly bungled this by the
means David mentioned. There are tons of others, but I can't access them
at the moment.

At any rate, I wasn't aware of this pending legislation---this is something
we should be acting on. This private property rights thing is one of those
old bugaboos that just won't go away as long as we're the good ol' USA.
It's one of those "Dead White Enlightenment Protestant European Principles"
we're founded upon.

While I'm not opposed to owning land (wish I could!), there is a measure of
responsibility that goes beyond profit extraction that the free market just
won't take care of itself.

This is what regulation is for.

Mark's truism of regulation #1: "There was no Big Government until Big
Business came along!"

Mark