[no subject]

I often avoid making contributions to this list because I feel that I will not
have an intelligent statement, however I do have an opinion regarding the influx
of Zaha Hadid mail to my account in the past week. It is an issue that Zaha is
known for her careful and extensive drawings and therein lies the basis of
her career, and furthermore that she is criticised for the number of projects
that she hasn't built. What I wonder is that if she is to be purely judged on
what we consider tangible--buildings, why her drawings are not considered
equally tangible. I have studied the Vitra fire station as well and it
fascinates me that in a complex that features so many buildings by big name
architects her's still stands out. Don't get me wrong, all of the buildings
on the site are equally signifigant, but in the company of Gehry, Grimshaw,
Ando et. al, her first attempt is nothing to laugh at. The building is clearly
the culmination of a careful examination of the surrounding landscape at Weil
am Rheim, and the paterns and movements are reflected in the building. Even
more you can see their roots in her drawings. She isn't winning competitions
with quick sketches, so who is to say that the way that she practices
architecture
-ure isn't the right one???? The building itself is truly amazing the firetruck
garage is a competely cantelievered space with enough room for five firetrucks
that service the complex, I suppose that Feldbaum didn't want to risk another
fire on the site after the last.
seh "hussey@xxxxxxx"