Re: Zaha's drawings

Susanne said about Zaha's drawings:
"What I wonder is that if she is to be purely judged on
what we consider tangible--buildings, why her drawings are not considered
equally tangible."

sp: when Zaha finally built it was a big moment for those of us in
architecture who depend upon drawings, to see if what was expressed in
graphic form could be translated into the built manifestation. Frank
Gehry works hard to maintain the playfulness of his primary models as
they progress toward built form. And he uses some pretty fancy computer
technology to do that. So the emphasis might be the test of
discovering something significant about architecture through drawing and
then having the ability to see that through. It is a foregone conclusion
that Zaha's firestation was not only well executed but maintained the
same power as her drawings. I guess i am saying what you did, but in a
different way to clarify a possible thesis on the relationship between
drawing and building. And i hope you will speculate further.

sp-network