Re: dreaded antihumanism post

Responding to msg by jya@xxxxxxxxxxxx (John Young) on:

> We are working to setup wireless transmittals of data to
> the field and getting faster feedback. As you know, a
> number of the large engineering firms are well advanced at
> this, especially in surveying with GPS. We have looked at
> the portable packs these folks use to receive, record,
> sketch and send. Great tool for measured drawings of
> existing conditions and rapid exchange back home. We think
> they can be used in a variety of ways to inspect and
> otherwise track construction.>

John,

Several ways to make practical use of the body of design data we spin out
may be of interest:

1. Call to arms!
a. The tools for welding graphic data to construction databases, creating
design/construction feedback loops, exist straight out of the can.
Primavera makes possible links to Acad (is anyone using this capability? I
think there is room for 3d party code...) The high end I.D. software used
by Bechtel builds in this capability. Manufacturing in general provides a
wealth of resource which may be applicable to architecture with little
modification.
(The Big Boys would have us believe that what they are doing with advanced
applications is proprietary. Actually, those guys are keeping mum about
stuff which is in the public domain. What General Cosmodemonic is pursuing
in its secret labs is no mystery, and we can appropriate their approach on
our macs and pcs. It only takes a little glue and creativity.)
b. Object oriented programming languages available at the low end are
perfect for building edifices of connectivity.
c. R&D money might be made available by finding GC's interested doing this
work on projects they have in the bag. Cost effectiveness can be
demonstrated.
d. The issue of contracts and team structure is relevant. Who will piece
together these processes? Architects? Most of those guys are most
interested in limiting their liability. Developers and construction
managers seem to be happy with that: leave the architect to pick out the
tile color (and theorize about it) while leaving the real work (and $) to
the pros. It is time to move aggressively to structure practice on a
design/build model.

2. Surveying loops.
a. Digital Surveying Systems out of Bend, OR., has low cost hardware and
software which makes the link between Theodalite surveying equipment and
Acad.
b. Geodalite, which uses radar and was initially developed for undersea
petroexploration, has similar technology.
c. The issue seems to be: how can we make easy ways to link that
information with the design database. Most solutions rely on sneakernet
(which assures security.) Options seem limited by bandwidth. Definitely
worth looking at ...

> More propsectively, we have looked at the
> micro-electromechanical devices and sensors the military is
> developing for attachment to the body for recording and
> transmitting soldiers' vital signs to base medical
> officers. These might at some point be worn by people in
> the field to implement info from a remote location. For
> example, I might wear a device at the job site to receive
> info directly from my home computer -- designs, shop
> drawings, material data, hazmat info -- and send back
> findings of sensors of my eyes, lungs, hands, feet, body
> position, temperature, brain wave patterns, pornographic
> yearnings, sick humor.>

Cool. I recently read an article in EJVC V2N1 by P.K.Jameson called
"Contradictory Spaces: Pleasure and the Seduction of Cyborg Discourse"
which you may find of tangential interest.

> We have just begun to look at the language sensing modules
> being developed by the federal government for scanning and
> digesting gargantuan amounts of electronic text and data.
> These we would use to scan and digest the voluminous hard
> copy general interest, design and construction material
> crossing our desks and going now into hard copy bins. We
> need algorithms for more ready access to this during
> planning, design, construction and follow-up -- as well as
> our own sanity and keeping up with the most fashionable
> dementia about our fair arte.

There are people in film here doing interesting work with neural nets and
fuzzy logic. They also like to keep their secrets. Anyplace on the net
with more information?

> We are studying cryptology, stegonagraphy and
> authentication of electronic documents. NYC, like other
> municipalities, is finally getting set to accept electronic
> filings of electronic documents where authentication of
> signature and data is needed. As you may know,
> something similar is being done with art works.>

Privatization seems to breed stratification. This opens the door to the
annihilation of difference. Ariadne's attraction lies in her fertile
beckoning to subversion. (There are dire consequences: consider the site
of Orpheus' head.) Anybody out there have ideas about how to maintain
viability in the dark zone of marginality when confronted with these
trends?