(Fwd) Re: CNU

>----- Forwarded message (Kunstler@xxxxxxx) -----<

John,

I don't know how you've formed your hyper-glandular opinions about the
New Urbanism. I suspect that you are under 30. The movement is one of the

more hopeful developments on an otherwise rather dismal national scene. I
have learned that ANY idea, good or bad, will generate opposition, so I'm
not
surprised to encounter a screed like yours. It's just further proof of the

obdurate perversity of human nature.

I would be interested to know how you developed your opinions.

--Jim Kunstler

Jim,

Everything I know about NU has been generously shared by David Sucher, on
list Design-L, and by HRH Prince Charles, an erstwhile patron, and, make
no mistake, these two gentlepersons have much to teach the Chamber of
Commerce NU drumbeaters about the wisdom of understatement.

NU as a movement? Sorry, no, it's a PR and marketing campaign, and an
excellent one. Not much new in the way of design and planning, though,
mostly rehash of others' creative work, by working the rags, mags and
historical volumes (lazy intellectualism).

Very similar to the historic preservation "movement," where I've suffered
for, well, a while, and seen its decline into a PR and marketing campaign
under the influence of rank commercialization and ambitious
professionalization.

Oh well, the same occurs for anything that too easily lifted -- stylism,
modernism, historicism, PoMo, etc. Is that NU's appeal for you?

FM/LW