A view from the outside...

"We definitely don't want CS [Computer Science] to become like sociology.
We want to become like architecture, design, or music. Social science can
disappear from the universe, and nobody would mind. But art has its own
standards that are hard and rigorous. The happen to be subject, ultimate
aesthetic and emotional, but then can be tremendously serious. The
problem with sociology is pretneding that it's science when it's not.
Architecture doesn't pretend to be what it's not. It says, 'Here is a
building. What we try to do is make it beautiful and powerful.'"
--David Gelertner, computer scientist, quoted in *Wired* (gack!)

Gelertner is controversial, even in CS. I think it's interesting that
this professional in the newest of design fields has adopted goals for his
own field that seem to be pre- and perhaps post- modernist...and perhaps
isn't aware of how often architecture falls short of his vision.

--
Randolph Fritz
randolph@xxxxxxxxxxxx

"Run from light to shadows--