What a remarkable thing.

Pierre.Beaudoin writes:

> I'm working on a research project ...
> ... Being a architect and engineer, My analytic work process is based on
> dualities.... 1 + 1 ( to things with architecture/event between them).
> Bridging fascinates me at all scales, urban,architectural, details...
> They are triple treshholds
> On both axis in plan and also in section

Sorry, if I am not responding to the essence of your letter, but I seldom
stumble upon one who is both an architect and engineer and.. is
interested in the theoretical issues in Architecture.
I am an Architecture Student who is currently also taking engineering courses
with the intention of getting my B.Eng right after my B.Arch (stressful
workload, I concede).
My interest stems from the thought processes that the two fields use to
achieve their building goals... perhaps: design vs. problem solving.
Putting aside Le Corbusier's Engineer's Aesthetic, how do you resolve the
'humanity' vs. 'economy' mindset (assuming they are opposites)? Is your design
work/conceptualization /generator affected/influenced/reinforced by your
advanced knowledge of the characteristics and possibilites of materials,
performances, and structure (assuming civil/structural background)? Is
your artisan/architectural theoretician 'side' confined/enhanced by your
supposed/alleged rigid engineering education and experience?
I find that my engineering courses keep my mind in a very intense,
focused, analytical state, in contrast to a 'disciplined "stream of
consciousness" conceptual/development' state (whatever that means) while in
studio. I will be soon be taking a 'quantum mechanics' course and hope
that will further broaden the scope of my education/ conceptual exposure/
view of building.
Appreciate any insights...
JB
jbrown23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx