Re: New course in Japanese architecture

Hello Julian,

I am not an academic, just a housewife that loves to read about
Anthropological
Architecture. The course you describe sounds wonderful and if I could,
I'd be taking it. As it is, I'm an armchair architect and can do no more
than read the text books. Would you be so kind as to let me know what
books are involved and where I might purchase them? I live in a small
mountain town of maybe 500 people, at nearly 10,000 feet and the nearest
grocery store is 60 miles away, so mail order is all I can do.

Normally, what books I can get are written by Archeologists and they are
often limited by how they approach architecture. Once I get to speak to
the natives (say Mayan or Hopi) I often find that the archeologists are
wrong in their conjectures. It would be refreshing to read a book
written by the subjects.

I found one book written on Japanese architecture in our old Carnegie
library from 1950 or so, and it was an enjoyable walkthrough several
homes (noble residence and an old farmhouse). There are no more copies,
I have tried to obtain one, but I could send some excerpts if you'd like.

Well, thank you for your time. We've got another blizzard coming on and
I should send this off before the lines go down again. (would you believe
we already have 11 feet of snow and it isn't snow season yet. The dog
lost his house, it's somewhere under all that snow!)

-- Maria Ladd
May You Walk in Beauty