[Fwd: Re: Fractal Geometry in Architecure]

Forwarded by Howard
===================

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: Robert Shipp <bobshipp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 00:36:33 -0500
  • Subject: Re: Fractal Geometry in Architecure
Lawrence Ladomery wrote:

> In todays lecture about Deconstruction, my lecturer quickly showed us a slide
> of a snow flake crystal and mentioned fractal geometry. I can't remember
> precisely to what she was referring amd she didn't expand on the subject at
> all.
>
> From what I understand fractal geometry seems to represent a usually non
> linear relationship between scale and repetition which can(or must?) be based
> on a mathematical model.
>
> It can be seen often in nature, be simulated on computer and is fundamental in
> data compression.
>
> But I can't see it in architecture.
>
> Anyone got any ideas?
>
> Cheers,
> Lawrence.

Fractal figures usualy seem to have a mathematical basis just because those
figures are
the easiest ones to whip up on a computer and look at. The main distinguishing
mark of a
fractal is not the math however; any figure which has a growing amount of detail
as you
examine it on a finer and finer resolution is a fractal. A tree with smaller and
smaller
branches and twigs, or a cloud with finer and finer whisps are both fractals.
Pleasing
architecture usualy has a fractal nature. From a distance the eye will pick out
certain shape or line; as you get closer to the building, you will notice some
smaller
detail, shape or design which wasn't obvious at first. Closer still and the
dooorway,
for instance, may reveal some even smaller detail to please the eye. The idea is
to have
a range of sizes in your designs so that the people using your building will
have plenty
of things to interact with, either visualy or spatialy, no matter where they are
in
relation to the building. Perhaps a great room with an alcove with a painting...
Of
course this is for estheticaly pleasing architecture; if you want classic ugly,
the U.N.
building is a good example on non-fractal design.

--- End Message ---