Re: request for information on women designers

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Neil Cornelis van Est wrote:

> Hi Anne,
>
> Thanks for those wonderful articles, I am actually doing very similar
> research as well on feminism in architecture here in Norway. I am interested
> to know if there are any 'female only' architect firms in the world that
> consist of more then 5 individuals. And if anyone has anymore interesting
> articles about feminism in architecture, I'd be delighted to hear.
>
> Regards, Neil van Est

You're welcome but actually, thank John Young, another Design-L
contributor, because they were submitted by him.

I recently came across an all woman firm in London, I believe, called
Matrix. They were written up in an article in the Journal of
Architectural and Planning Research (1992 Summer, V.9, no.2, p. 158-168)
Actually that entire issue looked very interesting. They refer to
themselves as a feminist architectural co-operative.

There's a great book on the history of feminist archie theory called: The
Grand Domestic Revolution: A History of Feminist Designs for American
Homes, Neighborhoods and Cities by Dolores Hayden (MIT Press 1981)

Also try Architecture, A Place for Women (Ellen Perry Berkeley, Editor,
1989, Smithsonian Institute)

And for a perhaps not so scholarly but in some places fascinating and
important take on current feminist design philosophy, try Descrimination
By Design, by Leslie Kanes-Weisman.

I think that's all I can find right now.
I'm really happy that this is such a hot topic on the list these days.
It's a major interest of mine. I started the Society of Women in
Architecture at UNM about a year ago and it has really taken off. Is
anyone else on the list knowledgeable about women's arch. groups in your
area? I would like to connect with other groups.

Thanks and good luck to all of you folks doing research!
Anne Boynton
Graduate Arch. Student
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM