Re: 'creating' space

Michael Kaplan wrote:

>We create structures which enclose/define/shape/modify/qualify space. It
>seems fully within the realm of conventional usage to claim that one
>'created' a space.

I think that MK and Mark are both on to something interesting: what
architects call "space," geographers call "place." In his classic
definition of place, Yi-Fu Tuan said that "Place = Space + Culture." By
that definition, architects provide the culture to make places out of
spaces. (or, more often to make new places that replaces older places."

Moreover, architects don't use "space" in an objective, value-free way --
thus negating any useful analogy to that way that mathematicians talk
about space. On the contrary, space is the thing that there is more or
less of: more is better. Different sense of "space." It doesn't make too
much sense to talk about more place.

Mark Hineline
Department of History
UCSD