Re: Ball State Head

At 11:02 PM 1/26/98 -0500, Michael wrote:

>The academy seems unable - or unwilling - to evaluate people on
>other than objective criteria.

Well, most organizations only evaluate on objective criteria---that's all
that's defensible. The problem in the academic setting---and especially in
design schools---is that the faculty has typically had the freedom to
evaluate the student's work on less-than-objective criteria.

In the traditional upper-level lecture class, a student might write papers
or an essay exam. The professor grades them---how? How do you objectively
(meaning "assign a number to it") measure whether the student covered the
material adequately? How many times have you cut a student some slack
because they tried hard and had perfect attendence? Do you assign a grade to
those qualities?

Some professors do, but many seem to prefer the fudge factor---it gives them
some room to move around. I'm not saying that's not right, but we're asked
to put a lot of trust in the professors' professional judgement. Sometimes
that trust is abused. Sometimes the students are doing the abusing!

Mark

--
--
Bill Verity - 814-865-4758 Fax: 814-863-7049