Re: Research question: ballrooms

Randolph Fritz wrote:

> "This one's a question for the list at large--if anyone knows anything,
> or has any references on the subject, please send them my way.
>
> "In one of my classes, we are supposed to take a place or a building
> type and do a short paper on its history. I decided it would be
> interesting to do one on ballrooms.
>
> "It would be interesting if I could find out anything about it! The
> subject is incredibly badly documented. I can find plans of
> Versailles, and I know the court of Louis XIV danced--but in what
> room? That, so far, I can't find a source on. And did the designer
> make allowances for it? Did the Italian nobles dance in their piano
> nobile? Where did Strauss play his waltzes?
>
> "Anyone who can shed some light on these and similar
> questions--especially light I can list in a bibliography--please write
> and save my sanity!"
>
> Randolph

Dear Randolph,

I have a book titled "Versailles - Complete Guide to the Visit by Pierre
Lemoine, Honorary General Inspector of the Museums of France, Les
Editions d'Art, 1988"

Although Versailles has an "Opera Royal" for performances, it does not
have any room which they call a "ball room". However, the book I have
describes the following room:

"The Hercules Drawing Room was inaugurated on January 26, 1739 by a full
dress ball. During the 18th century, it was the setting for some of the
most brilliant court festivities: balls, suppers and receptions for
ambassadors.

"On one side, the Hercules Room opens onto the Grand Staircase and, on
the other onto the rooms comprising the King's State Apartment."

I regret to advise you that the book I have does not bear any ISBN
number, and I doubt that it is available in the US. I got it at
Versailles several years ago. Nevertheless, I hope this information is
of use to you.

Please visit my site http://www.eilbacher.com for other infomation on
interior design. Anything you might want to contribute (like a copy of
your completed project) for publication would be most appreciated.

webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx