THORNCROWN CHAPEL/E.Fay JONES

Re: THORNCROWN CHAPEL / E.Fay Jones, FAIA
Film, Video, Slides

I have tried to locate film or video footage on Thorncrown Chapel
by E. F. JONES and have found none. If anyone knows of any film, video or
slide series of Thorncrown Chapel or other structures by E.Fay Jones
please reply by post or direct mail. It is sad to me that a building of a
decade has no film or video available. I have contacted AIA and also
phoned the office of Mr. Jones also without locating any source. The
chapel also has no film. I would like to use the media in design classes
and not for commercial use, if anyone has any personal video footage and
would allow me to obtain a copy, please contact me by direct mail.

This might be a good thesis project for someone in film looking
for a project. Am also interest in the small structures by Mr. Jones
such as tree houses, boat houses, retreat structures and smaller homes.
I do have a copy FAY JONES, by Robert Adams Ivy, Jr. and recommend the
book. The following quotes by Mr. Jones from the margin quotations
in the book:
"I am not trying to imitate in any way.
Architecture should announce
the presence of art. It is human made." Fay Jones

"I sought some enduring qualities,
something of the timeless qualities....
I certainly never sought the novel or the
bizarre....I've never been interested
in shock as a means....Fads or
trends are almost always misleading....
I am trying to do work in a process that is
based on time-honored principles." Fay Jones

FAY JONES, by Robert Adams Ivy, Jr., AIA
1992 - first published by American Institute of Architects Press
1735 New York Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20006
ISBN 1-55835-075-6

I have only been on this list less than two weeks. In regard
to an earlier post on a building of the week discussion, I feel that
Thorncrown Chapel and work of Mr. Jones has some merit for one of the
discussions. I would welcome posts or mail for those of you who have
been able to go through his buildings, it is on my list of buildings
to visit, but have not had the pleasure at this time.
John Belt, Design Faculty Phone: (Office)315-341-2868
Department of Technology (Studio)315-341-2867
SUNY Oswego Fax: 315-341-3363
Oswego, NY 13126 (located on Lake Ontario, 30 miles north of Syracuse)