War Effort vs Current Efforts

Some examples of European Corporations with warplanes in their
current web-borne sales armoury follows. But I don't think we'd find
product design histories featuring Dresden, Dachau or Nagasaki.

> I don't know about Cooper Union, but I could easily see that problem of
> complicity. Just like Daimler-Benz, it would pretty tough to sell very much
> of you featured your contribution to the Wehrmach in your current ads. Let's
> look at it this way: General Motors built tanks and bombers---hell,
> EVERYBODY built tanks and bombers and ships and guns and...all in the effort
> to defeat the Axis, and later Japan. We all know it happened, but do GM and
> Ford feature it in their adverstising---"Proudly serving our nation in the
> defense of freedom?" Of course not; it's not germaine to the current
> mission---selling cars.
>
> Your average German knows there was complicity in the war effort---Siemens,
> Mannesmann, et. al., long-respected icons of German industry, all conspired
> to defeat the Allies to further their national interest. How much they
> contributed to the genocide will be difficult to ascertain, as you suggest.
>
> As as sidenote, the defense contractors, like Lockheed-Martin and
> Grumman-Northrop, do have such ads.

In Europe :

http://www.bae.co.uk British Aerospace - Spitfires etc

http://www.rolls-royce.com/mil/milp001.htm

Rolls-Royce - Spitfires etc (a very buggy site - or is it me?)

(the cars are separate at http://www.rollsroyce.co.uk)

http://www.saab.com Cars and war planes, under History

(see jpg attached)

http://www.saab.se Mainly war planes etc

Even the Germans!

(But Siemens seem to have long had Russian and British bits which
must have stressed their loyalties every time a war came around).

There are 39 documents on Siemens sites answering the search
term "military".

The most interesting world war reference elsewhere is on a section
of one site marking the company's 150 years. But there is no sense of
complicity in the events described :

http://www.siemens.de/infoshop/150_cd/culture/k937-5.htm

Obviously German firms designed and manufactured the murderware
as did and do corporations globally.

Knowingly or unknowingly. Mostly knowingly.

--
@ @
\ /

chris paul | innovation in digital and
electronic arts limited | c/o fine arts
manchester metropolitan university | m15 3br
mailto:idea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel 0161 247 1907 fax 247 6818
http://www.idea.org.uk

JPEG image