J.B. Jackson

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, human being wrote:

> thanks sgp, i keep looking for it in the used bookstores
> but it never seems to show up. must be out of print.
> is anyone familiar with J.B. Jackson & his philosophy?
> bc

human being(s),

Here at the University of New Mexico, we have become quite familiar with
J. B. Jackson if we didn't know him personally already. He lived north of
Albuquerque in La Cienega, NM. He died in '96 and left UNM School of
Architecture and Planning a large sum of money which is being used to fund
many special projects and a professorship which we hope will further
research and thinking in the field of cultural landscape studies which is
his greatest legacy. He wrote 4 main books of essays, "Landscape",
"Discovering the Vernacular Landscape", "The Necessity of Ruins" and "A
Sense of Place, A Sense of Time", all available for a very modest sum at
amazon.com last time I looked.

Another excellent place to start is Helen Horowitz' recent collection of
Jackson's essays called "Landscape in Sight", which also contains a
complete bibliography of his writings--the only one I am aware of.

UNM was also the recipient of Jackson's manuscript collection--seven file
boxes of typed and handwritten notes, drafts, correspondence etc. In
addition there are many photographs and illustrations, some from his
magazine entitled "Landscape". The collection is housed at UNM's General
Library (Zimmerman) in the Center for Southwest Research (CSWR). You may
contact me if you have further questions about the collection.

Last summer UNM SAAP held a conference called "J. B. Jackson and American
Landscape". I believe the UNM School of Architecture and Planning website
still has information from the conference--www.unm.edu/~saap/

Hope that helps,
Anne Boynton
Grad Arch student, UNM