Re: laptop vs. desktop

From: Mark Darrall <mdarrall@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: DESIGN-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: laptop vs. desktop
Date: Thu, Apr 29, 1999, 12.29 AM

> I tell the 1st year
>students here that even if they feel the architecture profession isn't for
>them, an architectural education is a good *jumping-off* point for a variety
>of venues - multi-media, journalism, education, graphic design, photography,
>etc.

Oh, without a doubt, and you're so right to point this out to them. The
skills pay off anywhere you go. Again, they need a place to direct that
energy. I don't believe in a one-size-fits-all architecture program. But in
a traditional-practice track, they should learn at least a little of these
skills, be allowed to explore them in an integrated way, and not be
ostracized for choosing a less-fashionable route.

I more and more firmly believe that an architecture education might best be
had via a 4 year degree in something other than architecture (history,
English, art, etc.), and then a Graduate degree as the first professional
degree. At least one might have the opportunity to read and write something
other than papers on Violet-le-duc and Bernard Tschumi.

Wayde

wayde tardif

architecture+graphic design

wtardif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx