Re: (Designs That) Stinking Heights

Excellent. For more contributions to XL, L, etc.

Sometime here I reported on the US's largest manmade
structure, the Fresh Kills Landfill, on New York City's
long-gagging Staten Island, and calculated that it amounted
to some 150 Great Pyramids (actually don't remember but
it was thereabouts; drawing (watercoloring) comparisons for
such one-off leviathans is difficult); anyway, it is a tourist
attaction for non-Yankees, especially the Japanese who
are truly advanced at recycling endlessly resupplied gigantic
piles of human offal into useful infrastructure, island bldg.

Fresh Kills is tapped for methane, and regularly receives
hip landscrape treatment in response to political pressure/
pork of denizens who say that only newcomers notice
the stench -- as do Cairenes say of the suffocating
amibience of squalidity on the Nile.

We walked along a humongous sewage treatment plant which
Milosevics Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn this weekend on the way
to observe the waterfront squat for the fractious megaplex we're
helping to dungheap there, and there saw an amazing blocks
upon blocks long attempt to camouflage the violation with
Byzantium's worst tossing and heaving hurricane fencing and
ivy, to no avail -- the plants lay dead at the feet of the design failure,
killed by the sweet smell of success at offloading Manhattan's
world class waste on weaker neighborhoods, now also being
shipped to West Texas by train, for pete's sake, to help grow
succulent Pecos canteloupes for reshipment to the fancy fresh
veg shop below us. Yes, we can identify our own flushings in
their delicate sweet texture.

It is this marvel of Manhattan's eating its exorbitantly expensive
redesigned crap that marks the far edge of connoisseurial blowfly
greenish architecture, happily coprophiliac but not yet as exceedingly
civilized as the ancient Egyptians' delectation for aged Ra morte.

There is a proposal before the City Council to unbuild Fresh Kills,
to have every citizen go there and retrieve chuckings. I like the
idea: that every architect has to get rid of all the dung they've helped
heap, like the Appalachian Trail sign smokies, "pack it in, pack it out."
No more toilets, no more garbage bins. Design, pig, design, fix
your smell.