Re: light = energy?

[To add to Patchaon's answer.]

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 07:33:22PM -0600, bc wrote:
> question: may have asked this before, but am still very confused
> on the basic relationship between electromagnetic energy and light.
> how are they different and-or similar? i think R. or ~g may have
> already addressed this question before, yet i am still confused.
>
> 'light' is part of the electromagnetic spectrum (EM)
>
> the electromagnetic spectrum, all frequencies, are energy
>
> light is, then, electromagnetic energy (yes/no?)

Yes. The more usual way of saying this is that light is
electromagnetic radiation.

> does 'light' exist on the whole EM spectrum, as 'light?',
> as different kinds of light (UV, X-ray...), or is light to be
> confined to a certain spectral analysis that humans can see?

Light is electromagnetic radiation which humans can see--energy in the
"visible spectrum." This varies a bit from person to person.

> (for example, when seeing spectral analysis of distant stars,
> there is the rainbow which shows the colors representing a
> series of different elements, such as gases, which are shown
> in red, green, blue vertical bands of light, etc)...

Those are visible; if you use a prism or diffraction grating they can
actually be seen. The colors reflect the physical processes which
generate the light. Thus, if you add a small amount of copper to a
gas flame, the flame will turn green.

Sometimes color is also used to represent invisible relationships, of
course.

> if there is an electron in the atom, composing matter, the
> material world, and this has mass and energy, is electromagnetic,
> and some of its effects include giving off 'light' particles, photons,
> when a molecule or an atom's particles are knocked out of orbit,
> how does the photon, particle of light, relate to the electron,
> and these to the electromagnetic spectrum?

Physicists say that photons and electrons are of two different orders
of particles: bosons and fermions. Physicists say that the
distinguishing property of fermions and bosons is "spin"--fermions
have spins of 1/2, 3/2, and so on and bosons have spins of 0, 1, 2,
and so on--but I'm not sure what physicists mean when they talk about
"spin" at the subatomic level; it is not like the particles are
turning objects. At the same time, aggregate enough subatomic spin,
and one will observe macroscopic angular momentum--turning due to
magnetism. I'm not a physicist--I don't understand this. :-)

Anyhow, some of the simpler differences between electrons and photons are:

electron photon

has a rest mass no rest mass
has a charge no charge
participates in stable atoms carries electromagnetic energy

A photon can bump an electron up in orbital energy (by a
fixed--quantized--amount) and be absorbed. The new orbit isn't
stable, and eventually the electron falls back into its old orbit,
emitting another photon. There is no energy loss--there is no
friction at the sub-atomic level.

Electrons can also gain energy in other ways--for instance by
application of an external electric or magnetic field, or from
collisions with other sorts of particles. This is how electric lights
work.

Hope this is helpful,

Randolph