From: patachon [mailto:phsov@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 1:50 PM
To: DESIGN-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: apposition

> From: David Moon <DMoon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Subject: Re: obsession
>
> that's like saying...instead of cracks, why not walls.
>
> Molds may be "convex", but to speak of a "convex" niche is nonsense. Many
> identify molds according to the design behind their dimensions, whereas one
> would associate a niche with a crack or crevice within a larger order.
> Nonetheless, instances such as "niche advertising" and "pursuing one's niche"
> assume the implicit and definable dimensions of a hispanic population, for
> example, or the rules by which one might conduct oneself in their profession.
> These examples demonstrate order within the niche, a trait shared with the
> mold. One might even conclude that a niche is a mold - a particular kind of
> mold. It is concave, it is immediately perceived as a aberration from the
> norm, but ultimately its dimensions are definable and, more importantly,
> reproducible. Therefore, one could make "plain copies" from both molds and
> niches. Now I return to your point, and I ask, how do they differ and where
> lies the "original" between the two?

any spatial artist ( sculptor) ,eventually a builder also, would say an
original is the first one of his kind.
The copies follow, molded or not from this original.It's simple factin
spatial artistry like bronce foundery.
Of course in teorical discussions, the original can be a text.
a song, a music.A new style of building.

remakes of those can be of any kind. plain copies, eventually partially
modified "as to appear like" another original.Or just inspired in the
glorious mind of another genius. So the styling appears as a kind of molding
when adapted by another creator.
f.i. in classical music, some pieces are inspired by the natural elements,
some noises of the cities or by gypsy or local, eventually indian
(G. Harrison,J. MacLaughlin) music or sounds.
where then is the original or the "molded" piece ?

the "copy" can be another original if new talent is "apposed".
If some interpretation is added.

cheers
prunes trees already blossoming here... but no cherries ...
bees are busy...
best also....
¼(tm)ß