oldies , but goodies ???

> From: lauf-s <lauf-s@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: no opposition here
> Patrick,
I am not opposed to your introduction here of the word/concept appose.
Certain definitional phrases in WEBSTER'S THIRD INTERNATIONAL DICTIONARY
(1969) for appose and apposition provide the solidity of your case:

> apply (one thing) to another
> deposition of successive layers upon those already present (as in cell
> walls)

as you began, just in case, I also looked at some older ones:

---To Appose: (to put questions, to examine):.........;
---Apposer: (examiner): ......;
---Apposite: proper, fit : .....;
---Appositively: (properly,fitly,suitably) : .....;
(those from " Dictionnaire Anglais-Français,par A Boyer, L.Chambaud,
J.Garner, MM. des Carrières et Fain, Nouvelle Edition Revue et Corrigée,
Paris, Chez Ledentu, Libraire, Quai de Augustins, n. 31, 1829)
OOOOUUUFFFFF
(:-D)

as a kind of further look over the evolution of the sense of a single
verb-word,and the available variations on the radical , i followed:
---to appose: examiner, considérer
---appositeness: convenance
---apposition: apposition

(such word is not present in the first cited book)
(and notably the english and french word is exactly the same, in this
dictionary)

(from Nouveau dictionnaire portatif Anglais-Français,par Percy Sadler,Paris,
Librairie Française et Anglaise de J.H.Truchy,, Leroy Frères, Successeurs,
26, Boulevard des Italiens. ( Signed on Preface: Percy Sadler,London,1864)

so "piqué au vif" I kept looking at another frenchie stuff, for the sense of
the "apposition"used , from 1864 at least, in english, and i read in such a
kind of interesting interpretation:

---Apposition: action d'apposer. jonction de corps homogènes. ( transl.:
intimate union of two homogeneous "stuffes" - corps means bodies , existing
materials, in general, as in chemical processes)

Such Dictionary is : Nouveau Vocabulaire Français où l'on a suivi
l'orthographe adoptée pour la prochaine édition du Dictionnaire de
l'Académie,..., seizième édition ,Par A. et M. de Wailly,....,
A Paris, Chez Tourneux,Libraire, Quai des Grands-Augustins,n.13, Mai 1830 .
( the first edition was 1801)
Re OOOUUUFFF

(Then they loved to describe extensively the contents of their books, meaby
he reason was the necessity to persuade the potential buyer to use it. If
someday you want, I also have a french "Dictionnaire des Dictionnaires" ,
another funny but interesting small piece of educational process in a
condensed manner.

Another look in a "Nouveau Dictionnaire Français - Latin" par Fr. Noel,
inspecteur général de l'université royale de france ...published in
Bruxelles, P.J. DE MAT, IMPRIMEUR- LIBRAIRE DE L'ACADEMIE, 1821, gave the
more (?) original (?) sense of :
Apposer: rem ad aliam apponere; signo consignare (apposer son cachet),
obsignare (apposer un scellé)
Apposition: union d'un substantif a un autre ( here the pure grammatical
sense evoked here by David Moon, but not exactly as he described it,
referring only to nouns)

> The concept of appropriation is very much utilized by artists, and perhaps
> even more by art historians when they analyze a lot of contemporary art. I
> don't recall having previously read about the concept of apposition relative
> to art, and to the activity of artists, till your letters here. As far as
> I'm concerned, you may have introduced something original, or you may have
> introduced the concept by actually utilizing the concept itself via your
> introduction, meaning you may have apposed someone else's prior introduction
> of the concept of apposition relative to art. In either case, what you write
> has a refreshing truth to it.

was pure improvisation at the keyboard, like Miles Davis or Thelonious Monk
used to do. probably. I'm kidding.

> My own artistic oeuvre falls largely within the realm of appropriation, but
> now I see that much of the same artwork works even better within the realm
> of apposition. While you may not know it, although many here do know it,
> www.museumpeace.com is named for a truly appositional work of art, a
> bentwood Gehry chair that I painted over (in 1999) with acrylic and gesso in
> a slapdash manner. MUSEUMPEACE [the rare, one-of-a-kind chair] does not
> appropriate Gehry, rather it apposes Gehry.

ALL RIGHT. cela se pose un peu là ! ( in french, means it`s something
important happening. anywhere. It takes ("it" beeing the "new stuff"), it
"conquers" his "own" place in the visual/you name it - field we live in.

> For appositional [Lauf] art that
> you can see now, go to www.museumpeace.com/01 and choose any of the VERSACE
> TROPHY links at the bottom. I uploaded these images as part of "Theatrics
> Times Two, too" yesterday--something I've been meaning to do for a few weeks
> now. Not until I read your last letter this morning, actually not until
> writing this letter now did I realize the correctly defined nature of these
> works. Thanks.
>

> Steve

it's already marked on fav. thanks for your dedication there.

> ps
> Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

you 're certainly welcome ...
Patrick