Re: Paper architecture ... origins and uses of the term

Adding to the discussion:

Peter Eisenman wrote two articles entitled "Cardboard Architecture: House I"
and "Cardboard Architecture: House II". Here's what prefaces these articles
in the 1975 book FIVE ARCHITECTS:

"These two articles by Peter Eisenman "House I" and "House II" were first
drafted in November of 1969 and April 1970, respectively. In both cases they
were redrafted and necessarily condensed for publication in the first
edition of this book."

This does not answer when and by whom the term "paper architecture"
originated, but it does provide further historical context.

I can remember the term "cardboard architecture" being used as a derogatory
critical term during my years in architecture school (1975-81). I was taught
by many former students of Louis Kahn, and my recollection is that it is a
term that Kahn frequently used in his design studio at the Univ. of
Pennsylvania during the 1960s, referring to student designs that could only
be built out of chipboard, the material used to make architecture models.
Actually, the vernacular I recall was "chipboard architecture".

Steve