[tolerance, as in] found and lost

Having just finished lunch, I was going to write another post for design-l entitled "found and lost". This changed (slightly) because of a news report just received from the newsletter of designarchitecture.com -- The next architectural oddity: the Museum of Tolerance at

http://www.virtualjerusalem.com/news/infocus/?disp_feature=iEC4tp.var

This is an uncanny coincidental article when considering what else has been posted at Design-L today.

Now here's "found and lost".

RAMBLES IN ROME by S. Russell Forbes (1885) is a book I obtained via eBay in 1999. It is an old travel guidebook full of many, many facts and stories that are largely "not there" in today's guides--a great example of text as virtual preservation.

Inside the front cover is the signature inscription of 'M A Freeman' and on the page opposite is a small newspaper clipping neatly glued-in that reads:

"One of the greatest triumphs of regenerated Italy was the destruction of the Ghetto at Rome. Now another event is about to transpire only second in importance to it. The Ghetto at Florence is to be demolished and not a vestige is to be left of it. Italy, next to France, is the country where Jews are honored for their worth, and this we owe to the teachings and examples of the great and heroic liberators Mazzini and Garibaldi. Italy to-day is powerful among the nations of the earth and none glory in that power more than Italian Jews."

It is certainly deeply tragic that by the middle of the 20th century these once truly hopeful words themselves became 'rambles' .

This tiny piece of paper is now one of Quondam's most treasured artifacts.