Buildings, Terrorists and.

Pat Sovet asks us to read the following article which touches on buildings rather than especially architecture.
The following excerpts from the article touch upon the problem of terrorism, and how our various societies might avoid the violence.

http://www.spiked-online.com/articles/0000000CA492.htm

In a climate of political and moral uncertainty, 'political' protest and action take new and different forms; without the political framework of the past, and freed from any consensus over how to behave, it often takes the form of individuals or groups kicking against the drift of events - against modernity, or capitalism, or whoever happens to be in power. Various disgruntled groups often appear to be striking out with no clear purpose. Anti-capitalism, the most popular form of radical action today, targets coffee shops or McDonald's or Gap stores, in sometimes violent protests. Anti-abortionists shoot doctors; animal rights activists send threatening letters or plant bombs under vivisectionists' cars. At the more extreme end, some individuals and groups crash aeroplanes or blow up buildings. . .

The real problem of terrorism, in terms of both its origins and its impact on contemporary society, begins at home, in the struggle for moral consensus and moral authority. Instead of launching wars in far-off lands, surely what our societies need are debates about what we stand for and why; about the values we hold dear and wish to pass on to future generations; about our vision of the Good Society and how we might achieve it. Such debates might help to move us away from the deep moral uncertainties that can give rise to nihilistic violence, and make us more resilient against those who execute such violence.

But that is one battle that the establishment has long lost the will to fight. Those of us who are interested in progress and opposed to terrorism should have no truck with the war on terror. It is in our own societies, rather than in misplaced wars abroad, that we might discover some solutions to the contemporary malaise.

If we are going to make our societies more resilient, we need a clearer sense of what we are for, and how we might fight for it.

It seems to me that this "clearer sense" must be inculcated into the society through its individuals by the reading of history. This is especially true, if individuals know their family history very well. Such knowledge requires years of research on the part of individuals. It should be encouraged in our educational institutions a way to achieve real meaning of one's place in history. (The study of one's personal interests in educational institution is much more important than "feeding" rote facts to the minds of students. The finding of truths is most important in any process of study.) I believe anyone armed with this knowledge would speak more from their heart about social values, their place in any given nation, and their reasons for defending their society. Without such knowledge, it is only possible to BELIEVE one's place in history, i.e., it is impersonal knowledge. This could have an affect on changing the current political and moral uncertainty. But, with years of ignorance about such matters, and with many years needed to learn about such facts, one hopes that the whole civilization will not unravel in the interim. Truth is a very powerful weapon in the attack on such darkness.

Buildings, and architecture, are a consequence of such knowledge: They come into being based upon limitations and values of their builders, architects, and owners. If we were to focus only upon (art and) architecture, this would still avoid the larger questions related to the problem of terrorism. This mailing list, this forum, is about art and architecture. But, these issues, obviously touch upon those subjects. Dwelling on such issues is really dwelling in the darkness. This list is about dwelling in the light of creativity and its wonderment. Many of us wish to lift our heads and thoughts towards the skies rather than plunging them into The Abyss. However, the context of such efforts must be face with some concern of the reality of our times: We cannot avoid the problem.

.H.