Re: aesthetic knowledge

My question is not aimed at the history of crosses, rather
the history of the cross as a Christian symbol, bearing in
mind that a 'fish' symbol and the combined Greek letters --
chi-ro -- were already popular symbols of Christ/Christians
by the time of Helena and Constantine. I suppose one place
to look for early Christian use of the Cross as a symbol
would be in the Roman catacombs.

A quick look in Benjamin Scott's THE CONTENTS AND TEACHINGS
OF THE CATACOMBS AT ROME shows an inscription with a 'cross'
at the head:
Cross -- Lannus, Christ's Martyr Rests Here. He Suffered
Under the Diocletian Persecution. This Grave is for His
Posterity.
This makes me wonder whether early Christian's used a cross
as a specific symbol for martyrs.

--
The Design-L list for art and architecture, since 1992...