eine groese ºcrossº affair

> 'The penalty of the cross goes back probably to the arbor infelix, or
> unhappy tree, spoken of by Cicero (Pro, Rabir., iii sqq.) and by Livy,
> apropos of the condemnation of Horatius after the murder of his sister.
> According to Hüschke (Die Multa, 190) the magistrates known as duoviri
> perduellionis pronounced this penalty (cf. Liv., I, 266), styled also
> infelix lignem (Senec., Ep. ci; Plin., XVI, xxvi; XXIV, ix; Macrob.,
> II, xvi). This primitive form of crucifixion on trees was long in use,
> as Justus Lipsius notes ("De cruce", I, ii, 5; Tert., "Apol.", VIII,
> xvi; and "Martyrol. Paphnut." 25 Sept.). Such a tree was known as a
> cross (crux)....'

this last sentence supposes we have to accept such definition.

but where/who ºknewº such tree as a cross and when ?

so the name º cross º of the torture instrument was originated using simply
the name of a supplice associated with the name of such a ºsimpleº tree ¿?

infelix lignem. arbor infelix....

(also the torture instrument named a cross was constructed using
:ºlignus-lignemº, wood, the material from a tree)

º arbor, lignusº,....

but apparently no relation here to the Greek Chi-Ro used for the name of
a new ºchristianº religion.

Only the X inspired by the letter Chi, and well used as a symbol ,
eventually rotated to become vertically erected as the cross used by the
romans in Judea.

who knows ?
Pat

--
The Design-L list for art and architecture, since 1992...