more: cross-symbol origins

had been wondering (for months now) about
the 'christian' populations in the Middle-east
and elsewhere that are mentioned yet I know
virtually nothing about and wonder how they
can co-exist if the way they are here, locally.
though learning about the differences between
Eastern Christian Orthodox seems to indicate
a very large spectrum of approach to the ideas
and having heard of 'Coptic Christians' in Egypt
and also, that Yassar Arafat I believe is also a
Palestinian-Christian and this does not seem to
be at issue within the cultures, thought it must
be different from what is here. Yet never learned
anything about any of it (I have no recollection of
any mention of these variations when instructed).
Thought it was always wondered how, such as
with Iraq, there was a (relatively small) population
in larger societies -- and how this works out. Not in
terms of religious persecutions of minority groups,
per se, rather the integration of cultures in a shared
context while also being (it would seem, from here)
so divergent of viewpoints. Must be something of
a commonality I've heard mentioned between the
cultures that are able to co-exist, except it would
seem the context or balancing would be different.
I don't know. I wonder about this though as just in
looking into the symbolism of the cross it gets back
to this shared story, the integration of cultures and
different ways of knowing that seem to get lost in
the present yet, considering R.Venturi's electronic
iconography in architecture or other uses (LCDs
as a solar screen, one of the Aga Khan buildings
I thought it was, a long time ago)... quite close....

The Christian Coptic Orthodox Church Of Egypt
http://www.coptic.net/EncyclopediaCoptica/

'The word Copt is derived from the Greek word Aigyptos, which was, in
turn, derived from "Hikaptah", one of the names for Memphis, the first
capital of Ancient Egypt. The modern use of the term "Coptic" describes
Egyptian Christians, as well as the last stage of the ancient Egyptian
language script. Also, it describes the distinctive art and
architecture that developed as an early expression of the new faith.'
' Today, there are over 60 Coptic Bishops governing dioceses inside
Egypt as well as dioceses outside Egypt, such as in Jerusalem, Sudan,
Western Africa, France, England, and the United States.'

http://pharos.bu.edu/cn/pictures/Icon.Cross.gif
http://pharos.bu.edu/cn/articles/CopticIcons.txt

'Icons were never meant to be worshiped or venerated as something
holy in themselves. The reverence shown to an icon must be done
with the
understanding that it is not the icon or artwork itself we are
respecting, but
rather the person or event it portrays. An icon is meant to be a
window into
the spiritual world, used to help us contemplate spiritual matters or
to put
us into a prayerful frame of mind, as a reminder of events in the
Bible, the
life of Christ and the Saints, but never as an object of worship.'

http://pharos.bu.edu/cn/articles/CopticAlphabet.txt
http://pharos.bu.edu/cn/articles/CopticArtOrigins.txt

'Coptic art, in contrast to many other trends of art, appears to
have a
distinctive feature of abstraction and of expressing what is
beyond the
visible forms through an elaborate technique of symbolism. Parts and
wholes of
designs and of artistic levels seem to merge and interplay. The overall
effect
is the exuberance of the reality that is symbolically expressed
beyond the
work of art which transcends the work itself as a visible entity.
Here the
imagination had to play a functional role in building up
inter-relations
together with the inherent flights between parts and wholes.

some crosses...
http://www.sacredtravel.com/EgyptStore/OTHER%20CULTURES/ethiopian.htm

this site mentions 'Tree of Life vs Tree of Death'
http://icopts.com/

Ancient Coptic Christian Fabrics // ** is the 'cross' Egyptian in
origin, then?
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/fabrics.htm

'As with all regions that became a part of the Roman Empire, Egypt was
rapidly submerged by the artistic and iconographic formulas made
fashionable by its new masters, to the point of causing the nearly
complete abandonment of pharaonic images, despite their being several
millennia old. However, one of the oldest pharaonic images is
certainly that of the ankh, which symbolized life to the ancient
Egyptians, and it was especially reproduced on Coptic objects because
it appeared so similar to the sign of the cross. Intended to breath
life into Egypt's ancient gods and the dead, it was adopted by
Christians because of its signifying resurrection and life and also
because of its likeness to Constantine's cross, the labarum, made of a
cross surmounted by a crown encircling the Chi-Rho (chrismon).'

google images search: ankh
http://images.google.com/images?q=ankh&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-
8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

--
The Design-L list for art and architecture, since 1992...