Re: living democracy

Just heard on the news that one of the two US soldiers that
went missing a few days ago showed up on a video tape alive
and speaking, but also as a hostage.

[This morning I finished reading MY PAST by Maria Larisch.
This is the book where the excerpt of Ludwig II's imaginary
dinner party came from. I found out about this book via
another book about T.S. Eliot's THE WASTE LAND. Apparently
the Maria mentioned in THE WASTE LAND is Maria Larisch, and
there are other imageries in Eliot's poem that refer to
Ludwig's death and southern Bavaria. MY PAST ends with Maria
revealing what really happened regarding the assassination
of Rudolph, the Crown Prince of the Austro-Hungarian Empire,
and his young and brief mistress Mary Vetsera. Marie was
sort of like an aristocrat un-finking Linda Tripp, and
Rudolph and Mary slightly resemble Clinton and Lewinsky.
Rudolph was assassinated because he partook of a scheme to
overthrow his own father, the Emperor Franz-Josef. The
scandal was seen as the beginning of the end of 19th century
Europe with its old aristocratic political system, an end
which culminated with World War I.

What interests me here is how MY PAST may have influenced,
or even inspired Eliot to write THE WASTE LAND (especially
because of the title of the epic poem).]

Have I these days also been reading THE WASTE LAND II or the
geography of .WL?

--
The Design-L list for art and architecture, since 1992...